Dragon fruit is an interesting exotic and fascinating fruit. Let’s explore some of the fun facts about dragon fruit.
Dragon fruit is a member of the cacti family and its fruit has bright pink with unusually scaly pointy yet soft skin, with either white or magenta flesh.
It is native to Central and South America and is now commonly grown in Southeast Asia, Hawaii, Florida, and Central America. Here we will explore 30 fascinating facts about dragonfruit.
Why Is It Called Dragon fruit?
Dragon fruit is also known as pitaya or pitahaya from its native land. It is called a dragonfruit perhaps of the unique scaly skins that resembles a dragon scale.
I started growing them, and when it blooms, the flower also has some scaly soft green petals that looks like the skin of a dragon.
Interesting and Fun Facts About Dragon fruit
- Dragon fruit only blooms one time at night ready for pollination from bats and moths and then will close permanently at sunrise. If pollinated, it will eventually form into edible fruit.
- Another fun facts about dragon fruit is sometimes called “queen of the night”, “night blooming cereus“, and “moonflower”. It has large and stunning flower that just magical at night.
- Dragon fruit cannot tolerate frost. It is a tropical and subtropical fruit and can also do well indoors with enough sunlight.
- Also interesting fun facts about dragon fruit is, it is a climbing cactus, thus needs a sturdy post or fence for support .
- Is also called strawberry pear. ( fascinating fun facts about dragon fruit )
Dragon fruit Nutrition Facts (What are the health benefits of Dragon Fruit)
- It is considered a superfood. It is highly nutritious, mildly sweet exotic fruit that can enhance your overall health.
- The red or dark magenta flesh variety of a dragonfruit is rich in lycopene, similar nutrients found in tomatoes which is high in antioxidants.
- One of the fun facts about dragon fruit is that its chia like seeds is edible and is also loaded with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
- May help improve digestion.
- Fun facts about dragon fruit has no cholesterol so it is good for the cardiovascular system.
- May boost energy levels and strengthen immune system.
- It has high water content and also a good source of calcium and protein.
- It is rich in iron which is great for pregnant women.
- May help normalize blood sugar.
- It is high in fiber and has mild laxative properties.
- May aid weight loss .From high water content and rich in fiber, thus makes you feel full.
Culinary Uses of Dragon fruit
- Dragon fruit is best eaten raw, mildly sweet and slightly chilled.
- Excellent for juicing filled with edible seeds which is packed of nutrients.
- Can be blended with smoothies.
- Dragon fruit is a wonderful addition to beverages and cocktails.
- It is great to flavor ice cream, make sorbet, and desserts.
- Create a colorful fresh fruit salad.
- Sliced it into salads.
- It can also flavor cakes, candies and jellies.
Benefits of Dragon Fruit for the Skin
Harvesting Homegrown Dragonfruit ( Video)
Disclaimer: Mindfulness Memories posts about health and wellness is for informational purposes only . The information here is designed to help a person make informed decisions about their health.
It is not intended as a substitute for medical treatment . It does not constitute medical advice and it is not a replacement as such. Consult your physician or any professional health practitioner for medical advice. Minfulness and Memories writer is not a health nor medical professional.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.I may receive a small commission if you click the link and made a purchase at no extra cost to you.